FAQ’s FOR TENANTS
Q. What can I expect from my agent? What is their role and how do I know if they are regulated?
A. When you are searching for agent to work with you need to consider the following:
- The company they work for are registered with RERA
- That they specialize in the specific area you are considering. So you can rest assured they know everything about the property and the area they are about to show you.
- Real Estate agents will have RERA Certification and a (Broker Card) ask to see a copy of this before the viewing.
- Make sure that the property is legally available for leasing I.e all the documentation is in place before you view to avoid any issues further down the line.
Q. What if I have a problem with the property when I have moved in?
A. Before signing contracts with a new landlord make sure you ask your agent the question surrounding maintenance issues (how and who has to arrange for the work to be completed). Also be sure to have this covered in the tenancy agreement so there are clear guidelines between both parties.
Q. What do I have to do if a landlord asks me to vacate the premises when my contract expires? A. Your landlord must provide you with 12 months notice to vacate as per law No. 33 of 2008 with a valid reason.
Q. What is the process when signing a contract on the property I like?
A. The procedure is very straightforward providing the correct preparations have been made. The process works as follows
(Illustrations to represent the process)
– Viewing on the property, decision is made to move forward.
– Offer is made in principle based on thorough inspection of the property. Any changes or alterations should be highlighted with your agent before the offer is presented to the landlord.
The offer has been made and accepted by the landlord now you move to contract stage.